I received a wonderful note from Betty Eide whose husband Ike was aboard the Partridge. Ike wasn’t on the crew list because he was not aboard when the ship sank. But he is, of course, a part of the ship’s history. Actually, Betty’s note pointed out what I’ve left out from the site and I’ll add other names that I find in my research. Betty also sent along an extensive write-up on Ike’s life which is good reading. Thank you Betty and Ike!

Reinhart Frithjof Carroll Eide was born on September 12, 1924 to first
generation American Norwegian parents. He was born in the Norwegian
Hospital in Brooklyn, NY and spent his early years in the Scandinavian
section of Bay Ridge. He is an identical twin and had a close bond
with his only sibling, Sterling.The family spoke Norwegian at home and
he learned English when he went to school.At an early age the family
moved to a ranch in Montana. After several years, the family moved to
Oslo, Norway where they thought they would live permanently until
Adolph Hitler threatened to invade Norway and the family wisely
returned to the US.

Reinhart was known by several names – Reinie by his family, Ray by
college friends and wife’s family and Ike by his Navy buddies. Ray was
an athlete who loved soccer and football and played on a local team on
Staten Island, NY where they lived during their teen years. He
graduated from Curtis High School and immediately volunteered to join
the US Navy before his 18th birthday. He was inducted on December

After nine weeks of Boot Camp at Great Lakes, Illinois, he joined the
USS Partridge ATO-138 in New York in February 1943. He was on board for
two months and was then transferred to an Army Hospital in Bermuda for
Surgery in April !943. ( 2 months before the Partridge was sunk.) After
discharge from the hospital, he was transferred to a Troop Transport to
rejoin the USS Partridge in England. While in Wales, waiting to rejoin
the Partridge, he received the sad news that the ship was torpedoed and
sunk on June 11th.He was 18 years old at the time, a Seaman 1st Class.
He lost several best friends his age who went down with the ship.He was
proud to be assigned to the USS Partridge.

He received further orders and was transferred to a minesweeper YMS358
which he boarded in Plymouth, England. They immediately started
sweeping mines in the English Channel. He was also in the Battle of
Normandy at Omaha Beach. By then he was a Yeoman 2nd Class. He
received an Honorable Discharged on March 18, 1946. He received the following medals:

  • Good Conduct Medal
  • American Theatre Medal
  • Asiatic Pacific Medal
  • European Theatre Medal Victory Medal
  • French Liberte Medal (Normanday- 6/6/46)

After the war ended, he was reunited with his parents and particularly
with his twin brother who served in the US Army – a Norwegian-speaking
ski battallion which was training for the invasion of Norway by
Hitler.For almost four years the twins had no contact with each other.
This was instrumental in their becoming closely bonded for the
remainder of their lives. They spoke Nowegian whenever they could.
Physical fitness was important to them and Ray (Ike, Reinie) lifted
weighs. He could presss 300 pounds and was proud to be a body builder.

During the summer of 1946 after the war ended, he worked in a bank
before he matriculated at New York University where he earned a BS
Degree in Physical Education and an MA Degree in Elementary Education.
He continued his education at Hofstra University where he earned 60
graduate credits. He was certified as a physical education teacher
Gr.K-12, elementary teacher Gr.1-8 and elementary principal. He taught
Social Studies and Science in the Deer Park School District on Long
Island and 33 years in Grades 5&6 in the Merrick School Didtrict,
LI.New York.He retired from teaching in June 1982. He belongs to many
professional and civic associations as well as being a life-time member
of the National Rifle Association.

Being a sportsman, he loved to hunt deer, camp, fish in Canada, golf,
ski, horse ride, water ski. During the summers he taught water skiing,
horse riding and archery in day camp for many years. He is an avid
reader both in English and Norwegian. Many fond memories have been
gathered during the years he and Betty owned a ski house in Vermont and
spent many winter months skiing there with the family.

Ray met his wife, Betty in their Freshman year at NYU. After
graduation, they married on May 27, 1950, got teaching jobs on Long
Island and raised a family. They have a son, Thomas R.Eide , who is a
medical doctor, an anesthesiologist on LI. He and his wife, Nadine have
two daughters. Ike and Betty also have a daughter Karen M. Wilutis, who
is a Trial Attorney. She and her husband Steve, have their own law
practice on LI and also have a son and a daughter. Ray and Betty have
four grandchildren who are now high school and college age.

Ray and Betty traveled extensively throughout the US,eastern and
western provinces in Canada, Mexico, New Foundland, Scandanavia, Great
Britain, Russia, Southern and Eastern Europe, Caribbean, Panama Canal,
Central America, South America, around Cape Horn, Falkland Islands,
Australia, New Zealand,China, Hong Kong, Japan. However, the best trips
that Ike and Betty enjoyed were those attending the reunions of the USS
Partridge where they made lasting friendships.

A few years ago, Ike had several small strokes(TIAs) that affected his
short- term memory. He has suffered back trouble over the years but is
still strong, although he uses a walker for balance. He is soon to be
84 years old and still enjoys the crossword pzzlesand the National
Geographic magazine. Ike and Betty are married 58 years and are devoted
to each other and to their family.